Thursday, September 17, 2009

Single-itis



A few months back I spent a long weekend with a friend of mine where every single thing I did got on her nerves. I hung up a towel "wrong", I put the toilet paper roll on "backwards", I sprayed too much pam on a fry pan, and I almost ruined a bag of microwave popcorn by letting it pop 5 seconds longer than what was in her comfort zone. By the end of the weekend we both couldn't wait to get away from each other. I knew what it was. She had a severe case of "Single-itis". She was so used to being on her own, doing her own thing, running her own household that she didn't know how to deal with me and my habits. I remember thinking she must be more anal than I am and that's OOOOOKAY... but how awesome it was to be me. So chill and relaxed...

Or so I thought...

Here I am, months later, shacked up with my fiancé and I'm suddenly the "No! Not like that!" monster. I cringe when he pours coffee into the reusable filter that I keep in the cupboard even though I hate the way it brews coffee. I supervise him as he puts plates, bowls, and wine glasses into our dishwasher to make sure he puts them in the "right" way. If he leaves milk on the counter I swoop in with a frustrated and blatant sigh before putting it back in the fridge. I am worse than my friend. I am passive aggressive, too! Looks like I caught me some "Single-itis".

Before meeting my fiancé, my longest relationship was only a few months long. I was the stereotypical single New Yorker. For the past 8 years I lived completely alone. And 8 years is a looooooooooong time. Long enough for me to develop some pretty quirky habits. The worst part about it is that they aren't easy to shake. They've become a part of my daily life. I've always hated when someone tells you, "I'm just set in my ways." Ick. And here I am... living it. I'm that person.

In my defense, there are a few things he needs to work on. Like putting his nose hair trimmers anywhere but in our utensil drawer. However, I know I need to take responsibility, too. I need to loosen up. I need to be flexible. I need to... (!)gasp(!) compromise. I want to be okay with how he does things. I want to make room for him and his habits. Better yet, I want us to create our own habits.

I know there is a cure for "Single-itis". It's not like there's a relationship Z-pack and all symptoms are gone in 3 days. But I have faith that with enough effort and determination I'll get through this. It helps when I think back to my single life. How lonely I was. How all I wanted was to find the right guy. And now he's here. Why would I want to hang onto those old habits? I don't want that life back. I don't want to be the same person I was back then. I'm a better person now thanks to him.

So what if he steals my towel every morning? He's the one who does the laundry. So what if he untucks the sheets that I like tucked in? He likes to snuggle and keeps me warm anyway. So what if he leaves a pesto covered cutting board in the sink for two days? I never made myself homemade pesto. Ever.

Looks like I'm making progress already.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

you forgot about the farting ;) do you know I never lived alone? Unless you count the 4th floor Hunt Hall ;) I look forward to reading Randy's version about co-habitating with you!

KJ said...

I know exactly what you are going through! It is so so tough adjusting but, best part is that you are together. I try to keep that in mind when my towel is all wet b/c "someone"used it. Or when clothes are left all over the apt. I'd rather him and his mess than nothing at all. And I know I have weird quirks that he thinks are pretty nutty too. :)

Jules said...

OMG he does the laundry??? :)

Great post. Sounds like you're in the adjustment period. Totally normal and soon, as you said, you'll be developing your own habits as a team.

Pickle said...

I am still struggling with co-habitation, and our 4 year wedding anniversary is tomorrow! After 4 years of wedded bliss + 1 year of out-of-wedlock cohabitation + 1 year of dating, you would think I could let stuff go? It's so hard. My husband never lived on his own .. and he is SO much more mellow than me .. so I can't help him understand why I am so particular about some things. I'm actually considering turning one of our basement rooms into my own little oasis, where no one can enter but me. It will be my tiny safe zone. I'm not sure this is healthy.