Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Me and Roma 4 Ever



well, jessica left me on monday after a whirlwind of sightseeing, eating, and lots of wine.



after our quasi-tearful goodbye it dawned on me that i feel like i'm on one of those reality shows where the people i've bonded with keep getting voted off and i'm left on my own once again. of course, i miss jessica dearly, but now that the 'rents have shown up i have plenty on my plate again (quite literally).

last night we did a wine tasting tour in my neighborhood. the young woman who took us around was a spitting image of jennifer aniston (the picture does not do it justice)



and a complete rock star when it came to explaining wine. the 4 varieties she chose for us were all delicious and if there is enough room in my suitcase i will bring some back. speaking of coming back... i'm not. ever. i'm staying here. okay, i'm not really staying here, but i wish i could. my block is the quintessential neighborhood block with the hustle and bustle of a happening little street. the same cast of characters are outside every day and people are starting to recognize me. it's funny cause our wine expert (heather) also lives in my 'hood. last night she asked me if i know "the makeup lady". and i DO! she's one of the crazies who wanders up and down my street with her face painted all sorts of bizarre colors. apparently she used to be a successful artist and has since lost it (clearly). as sad as her story was, i couldn't be more excited that i actually know the local weirdos! a little over a week and i've never felt so much a part of any neighborhood before (and i've lived in the same apartment on 24th street for over 5 years!).

although the thought of staying on this street forever is extremely appealing, i don't exactly have a way to make cash and would probably end up wandering the streets as some other neighborhood freak. maybe i'd be "the lady who wears her underwear over her clothes." since sticking around isn't exactly realistic, i have found a new fantasy. i will return to Rome every year and stay on this street in this very apartment. and, that will suffice for now...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kim!
Have you read Eat Pray Love? Is that what's inspired this trip, maybe even...
Cause you're living Chapter 1-10. And it's just uncanny. Even your humorous observations of language and eye for hilarious situations. Let me know--if not--it's waiting for you at home once you're back. She is your Italian doppelganger and if you haven't read yet--you MUST-it will inspire your journey there even deeper. I was telling Stacy about the book,when she informs me that you're over there. so I check this out and see that you're indeed living it. Indulging la dulce gelato vita. So happy for you! And yes--by all means, bring back il gatto domestico!
xo,
Brooke

PS--when are you back? I leave for Rancho La Puerta in 3 wks--but want to get you this book before all that good vino wears off. I'm brooke.murphy@edelman.com if that's easier.

Kim Gallina said...

so many people have recommended that book to me! and the funny thing is that i have it here with me but was having a hard time getting thru it so i stopped reading it. i know so many of you love it so i will try to push through once again! ps. thanks for the offer, brooke. i'm back October 30th so at the very least i will try to read it on the plane ride home!

Colleen said...

Someday I hope to visit you on that street. Kim, sad times over here! Read my blog from today.